CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Recipe Makeover

Since I usually use a recipe as a guide, I was struggling with Amy's first challenge. Rest assured, I think I've done it. I looked around my kitchen tonight and was trying to figure out what to have for dinner when it came to me: fajitas and a mojito.

First I whipped up batches of Epicure Fruit Salsa (can of diced no-salt tomatoes, fresh diced pineapple, diced peaches, and seasoning) and Epicure Guacamole (2 avocados, lime juice and seasoning).



Then I marinated some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in my new favourite marinade. I found this in the June issue of Runner's World.

1/3c soy sauce
1 TB lime juice
3 TBSP EVOO
1 tsp thyme
S & P to taste

After about an hour or so (I've also left it longer with fantastic results), I threw them on the grill with some red, orange and yellow peppers.





I grabbed some of these at Planet Organic last week:

Each tortilla has 150 calories, 3.5 grams of fat and 5 grams of fibre and 6 grams of protein.

So a tablespoon of guac, a chicken thigh shredded, a very thin slice of old cheddar, a big spoon of salsa and some pepper mixture (I also grilled some 'shrooms, zuke and red onion to add in) and VOILA:



Ahh, but I'm oh so thirsty on this Canada Day! I assembled the mojito fixings:


Lime, rimmer (darned Epicure, you'd think my friend sold the stuff or something!) muddler, fresh mint from the garden, agave nectar, ice and club soda (oops, forgot that!). If I wanted the leaded version, a shot of white rum goes in there, too. Rim the glass with a cut lime, then dip in the rimmer. Muddle the mint, add some lime juice and agave and muddle some more. Ice, soda and garnish with lime. Super refreshing!



And that, my friends, is a skinnied, local version of a Mexican dinner with a Cuban bevvie. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm looks yummy!

Amber said...

Umm hello! I took chicken out this morning wondering WHAT on earth I'd cook for dinner!

Now I know! Looks DELISH!

Kelly said...

Mmm that fajita looks SO delicious!! Yum yum yum! :D

Anonymous said...

Looks scrumptious! I love grilling my veggies! I'll have to give the drink a try..it looks refreshing!