Friday, October 25, 2013
Saturday, September 21, 2013
This summer has flown by! The flood and evacuation threw me for a bit of a loop, but then moving back and forth between my house and the new beau's has taken a toll, too. I'm home this weekend, but today I spent the day making hundreds of glorious perogies.
There are caramelized onion, potato and Grizzly Gouda perogies.
There are sweet potato, bacon, roasted garlic and cheese perogies. (Oh. My. God!)
There are cottage cheese perogies. Cottage cheese and dill perogies.
And last, but certainly not least, there are plum perogies.
We enjoyed the fruits of our labour with real Mennonite sausage (from Manitoba, no less) and schmot fat (cream gravy). Why, oh why, have I been eating fried perogies all these years?! Oh. My.
It's definitely not low calorie or healthy, but damned tasty!
Add the bounty of today to our work a few weeks ago (salsa, dill pickles, bean pickles and pickled carrots) and I'm ready for any zombie apocalypse (or any other food shortage).
I think a soak in the tub, a cuddle with Nerm and a phone call from my sweetie and I'm good to call it a day.
Posted by H-woman at 9:21 PM
Sunday, August 25, 2013
Well, it's been a month since I was here last. What's new?
- My new beau is awesome. We went to Revelstoke for the long weekend to celebrate his birthday. There were walks (cant really call them hikes) in the mountains, wildflowers in bloom, drinks on the patio, the best. Pizza. Ever., and breakfast at the ski hill. Wow, it looks different when its not covered in snow! Since then, we've just been spending lots of quality time together and going for walks, either in my neighbourhood or his. We also went to the big outdoor concert for flood relief. It amazes me how much musical talent this country possesses. It blew my mind. There's been talk of combining homes, but neither one of us is ready right now. When my lease is up at the end of January? Quite possibly. =)
- I've been meditating again. It's amazing. I don't remember why I stopped. I'm not going to this time.
- The fitness/healthy eating challenge I talked about last time is going well. I still struggle with the workouts. I haven't seen tangible progress yet, but I feel better. The daily habits are going much better than the workouts. Baby steps. Slow and steady. I've got this!
Posted by H-woman at 9:48 AM
Saturday, July 27, 2013
Wow, time sure flies!
What's new, you ask? Let's go with a bulleted list. Because there's been THAT much!
- I was evacuated during the big flood of 2013. I live a block from the Elbow river, so was smack dab in the middle of it all. Fortunately, my building is built on a berm. We had nary a drop of water touch our heritage building (built in 1921). My neighbours, however, were not so lucky. There's so much damage in my neighbourhood. The building directly across the street from me, for example. They're out for 3-4 months. My landlord's friends, who lost not only their home, but their businesses too. I am incredibly fortunate. Which reminds me, I need to check my lottery ticket from that week!
- Nermal & I spent the first weekend with my mom, then I borrowed my brother's car and stayed in Cochrane with my friend Christie. We had a blast together and more than one batch of watermelon mojitos were consumed. =)
- Started a year-long nutrition and fitness adventure with my friend, Michelle! This was the first week. I like the flexibility of the program and that we start with baby steps. This week our habit was fish oil and probiotics. I got 100% compliance on that one. The workouts, not so much. I'm not a big fan of weights so I've been resisting somewhat. But between me and my coach, we've come up with substitute exercises that don't have me going to a gym (I'm SOOOO not a gym girl) or spending oodles of money on equipment. The best part of this gig is the mantra. I LOVE it!
START WHEREVER YOU ARE.
USE WHATEVER YOU HAVE.
DO WHATEVER YOU CAN.
- I've got a new beau. I'm a smitten kitten. As is Nermal. She loves him, too.
- My new job rocks.
Posted by H-woman at 2:13 PM
Wednesday, May 29, 2013
(For about 162 more days, then skiing will resume)
So, what have I been up to?
- cycling (so much fun, but such a sore ass!)
- meeting new people
- sushi dates with friends I haven't seen in far to long
- avoiding gluten like the plague
- hitting up the farmer's markets for great local food
- hitting my yoga mat and remembering how good it feels. Like coming home.
- saving my pennies (and loonies and toonies) for eye surgery. Two weeks from today, I won't need glasses or contacts any more!
- spring cleaning (OK, this was more my mom than me, but I'm reaping the benefits)
- reading some good books
- listening to some pee your pants funny podcasts
- trying to decide which season pass to buy next year
- longing for my new powder skis
- trying to find a good facial sunscreen. I'm not convinced there is one.
- being thankful for the lilacs blooming in my yard. They are my very favourite flower in the whole world. And I get to breathe them all in!
- I'm also thankful for Claritin. See above. =)
Posted by H-woman at 10:08 PM
Friday, May 10, 2013
Posted by H-woman at 8:51 PM
Monday, April 29, 2013
How did that happen?! Last time I looked, it was my baby cousin's birthday. He's an April fool. And tomorrow is the last day of the month already!
Time is flying by. That's what happens when you're having fun!
My new job is going great. I'm rocking the new clothes, my boss loves me, I love my new schedule, and I'm having fun after work, too. My cousin and I are going to aquasize twice a week. Tonight's class wasn't so great due to a disengaged instructor, but we had fun regardless. And hey, it's good it to get out, have a girl talk and move around at the same time.
Ski season is almost over. It makes me very, very sad. I'm hoping to get into the Dive this weekend. Fingers crossed for snow and then some bluebird days!
My mom surprised me with a visit yesterday. It also involved a shopping trip with my grandma (Mom lied--she told me they were done shopping--I don't shop with the old lady. I will take her to medical appointments and translate the medical speak, but I refuse to shop with her any more. Not since the Lazy-Boy incident.) It was cool, I got a chance to hang out with my mom unexpectedly.
I've had a crazy twitchy eye all day. Not fun.
And that's what's new in my world. Nothing too exciting, but good all around. I'll take it.
Posted by H-woman at 9:36 PM