CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Taking Yoga Off the Mat

One of my reading assignments for my last Immersion was Pada One of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. I have 3 different translations (Desikachar, Stiles and Satchidananda).

I starred this one during my first teacher training and it was a good review to go back and re-read.

I.33
By cultivating attitudes of friendliness toward the happy, compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous, and disregard toward the wicked, the mind-stuff retains its undisturbed calmness. (Sri Swami Satchidananda)

By cultivating attitudes of friendliness toward happiness,
compassion toward suffering,
delight toward virtue,
and equanimity toward vice,
thoughts become purified,
and the obstacles to self-knowledge are lessened.
(Mukunda Stiles)

My goal for the rest of the year is to try and maintain these attitudes both on and off the mat. Sometimes it's easier said than done, though...

0 comments: